Admiral Frederick Moore Boultbee
In a description of Christ Church Emery Down, the following text about Admiral Boultbee – his grave and his life – was published in the Hampshire Advertiser on Saturday, August 28, 1886:
In the churchyard is a ledger tomb and cross over the grave of “Frederick Moore Boultbee, Admiral, Born, September 1st, 1798, Died, November 23rd 1876, ‘Then are they glad because they are at rest: and so He bringeth them to the haven where they would be.’” Admiral Boultbee entered the Navy in 1811, as a first-class volunteer on board the Conquestador, 74 guns, Captain Lord William Stuart, attached to the Flushing and Channel Fleets. He served as midshipman and master’s mate in the Favourite, on the East India, St. Helena, South American, and Newfoundland stations; after being employed in the Egeria, he was promoted to a lieutenancy in the Grasshopper. He afterwards joined the Northern Star, and co-operated in the suppression of the slave trade on the coast of Africa, where, in 1827, he distinguished himself, while in charge of the ship’s pinnace, in capturing a Spanish brig pierced for 18 guns. Captain Boultbee’s next appointment was to the command of the Jaseur sloop, in 1838, on which he served until his elevation to post rank in 1841, and it is a somewhat singular coincidence that he breathed his last on the anniversary of the day when he became a captain in Her Majesty’s Navy. He retired on half-pay, was subsequently appointed Chief Constable in the county of Bedford, and afterwards attained the rank of Rear-Admiral on the Reserved List, in 1862; Vice-Admiral, 1867; and Admiral 1875. In 1864 he built and endowed the church at Emery Down, and also the alms-houses, and did many other things which will cause his memory to be revered. Here lie the remains of him who did much service in England’s “wooden walls” in what we so often call “the good old days”.